Made a delicious Rainbow chard shakshuka this morning with my beautiful chard from @rodgersgreensandroots !😍🥬🍳 Shakshuka is a Middle Eastern breakfast dish usually made with poached eggs and tomatoes. But for all my autoimmune/lectin-free followers out there, rainbow chard is a wonderfully nutritious alternative! 😍 This version has all the same notes of cumin, paprika, and garlic, and none of the nightshades! I like mine topped with a little crumbled sheep’s milk feta from @dayspringdairy and some fresh chopped herbs! 🥰🌿
1/4 cup EVOO
1 medium onion, chopped
2 bunches Rainbow chard (about 1 lb.), diced
1/3 cup dry white wine
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne* (optional)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp cracked pepper
1/3 cup low-sodium no-chicken broth or vegetable broth
3-4 eggs depending on serving size
Crumbled sheet's milk feta or goat cheese for garnish
Chopped cilantro for garnish
1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and translucent but not browned, about 7-8 minutes.
2. Add chard, a few handfuls at a time, and cook, stirring often, until wilted, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add wine, garlic, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the wine is absorbed and the garlic softens, about 4-5 minutes.
4. Add broth and cook, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Make pockets in the chard with a wooden spoon or spatula and very carefully crack the eggs into them. Make sure to space the eggs out. There should be sauce in between each egg for them to cook properly.
6. Immediately cover the pan, and cook without lifting the lid for 5-8 minutes depending on how you like your egg yolks. 5 for runny and 8 for cooked.
7. Eat right away while it's hot. Garnish with crumbled cheese and fresh chopped cilantro. It's also delicious with a green hot sauce, like serrano/jalapeno. Enjoy!