Updated: Feb 1, 2020
Thought this colorful salad would be the best intro to my new name! I’m hoping it makes it easier for everyone to find me! All my recipes will still *of course* be Lectin-free and featured on my website nolectinsnocry.com 💚 Thank you guys for all the support, and can’t wait to show you what’s in store next! 🥰 In other news, I got a new camera yay! Cheers to even more colorful, crystal clear homages to healthy food! 😍🥗 Ok now onto this salad. This recipe comes from my all time favorite @deborahmadison with a few modifications I made on my blog. Golden and red beets, tucked inside French mâche lettuce, with pickled shallots, avocado, and a vegan yogurt herb sauce! 🥑 Mâche has a sweeter lettuce taste that pairs perfectly with a tangy vinaigrette and sweet earthy beets. Thank you #abundanceharvestgardens for mine! If you can’t find mâche, baby spinach or arugula is a good substitute! Adding fresh avocado and yogurt sauce give even more coolness and balance to such a delicious salad. Crack some fresh pepper and sprinkle flaky sea salt all over it, drizzle on your best olive oil, and serve! 😋 Hoping this salad gives you fresh vibes to finish the week! 💚🙏🏽🥗
Ingredients (For the Salad):
6 small to medium red and gold beets
4 handfuls mâche or baby spinach or arugula greens
2 large shallots
3 Tbsp champagne or apple cider vinegar
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
4 Tbsp good olive oil
1/2 cup Yogurt Herb Sauce
1. Cut the stems off the beets about an inch from the top of the beets, then steam them over simmering water until tender.
2. Remove them, rinse under cool water, and slip off the skins with your hands. Cut the beets into 10-12 wedges and set aside in a bowl in the refrigerator.
3. Peel the shallots and slice them 1/4 inch thick. Separate the rings and put them in a bowl with the vinegar and 1/4 tsp salt.
4. Let stand for 10 minutes or more to color and soften, then whisk in the olive oil.
5. Spoon a tablespoon or two over the beets and toss. Taste to add more dressing, salt, or pepper as needed.
6. Dress the greens with the remaining dressing and serve. Tuck the beets and shallots in and around the greens. Spoon yogurt sauce in the middle and enjoy!
Ingredients (Yogurt Herb Sauce):
1 plump garlic clove
1/4 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
3/4 cup thick yogurt, I used @kitehill Unsweetened Almond
1/4 cup sour cream, or vegan sour cream
1 cup of herbs finely chopped, and with their stems removed: I did 40% basil, 40% cilantro, 20% dill
*Optional: 1/2 tsp cumin
Fresh cracked pepper to taste
Squeeze of lemon juice
Good olive oil to drizzle
Sumac flakes to garnish
1. Place garlic clove in a medium bowl and pound to a paste with 1/4 tsp sea salt.
2. Add the yogurt, sour cream, and cumin, if using, and stir.
3. Stir herbs into the yogurt-sour cream mixture. Squeeze half of a lemon into the mix as well as a few cracks of pepper.
4. Taste and add more of any particular herb, salt, pepper, or lemon juice.
5. Scrape sauce into a serving bowl and drizzle olive oil over it just before serving.
6. Sprinkle with sumac flakes and enjoy!